There are lots of things to experience in the Philippines. It is an archipelago of 7641 islands and found in Southeast Asia. It has plenty of natural beauty and biodiversity. Anyone who visits will appreciate it.
The Philippines will present you with an array of experiences that you will never forget. You can choose from the long stretch of sand and pristine beaches in the Visayas. Or up to the hills and mountains on the northern side of Luzon.
Your experience is limitless in this country.
The people and their vibrant cultures are other experiences you do not want to miss. You can choose to acquaint yourself with the locals. By interacting with them, you will discover a valuable trait of the Filipinos.
So, read on and discover life experiences only found in the Philippines.
List of Contents
What is the Philippines best known for?
The Pearl of the Orient is another term of this country because of its immense natural beauty. Its capital, Manila, is the second-largest city in Southeast Asia. You can find the oldest Chinatown in the globe.
The Philippines has natural, historical, and cultural significance. The international community recognized its beauty as well.
Idyllic Beaches and Islands
If you want to experience a unique Asian adventure, this country is the starting point. There are lots of beautiful beaches. Every beach lover will never want to miss its long stretched of white sands and coastlines.
You can choose to dive, surf, and swim on the island of Palawan, Boracay, and Siargao. Each island has a unique experience to offer:
- Boracay – this is a city within an island. In 2021, it is one of the Best Island in the World according to Travel + Leisure magazine. It is one of the top destinations for nightlife and parties. Its powdery white sand beach, azure waters, and under the sea wonders will captivate you in an instant.
- El Nido, Palawan – one of the top travel destinations in the country. It is the favorite spot for both local and international travelers. A one day visit alone is not enough to witness the beauty and wonder of El Nido, Palawan. Its turquoise waters, vibrant coral reefs, and limestone cliffs are magnificent creations.
- Siargao – this is a small island on the northeastern coast of Mindanao. It is a favorite surfing spot for local and international surfers. The incredible wave will give you an outstanding surfing experience. On this island are waterfalls and lagoons. They are great for water adventure like snorkeling.
Amazing Summit and Mountain Views
There is more to the Philippines than beaches and islands. It has mountains with awe-inspiring views from high above. When you plan a trip to the Philippines, the following should be at the top of your list:
- Mt. Apo – this is the highest mountain in the Philippines. Based on the mountaineers, Mt. Apo is one of the simplest summits to climb. The reward for climbing the highest peak in the country is fulfilling.
- Mt. Pulag – located in the north. Mt. Pulag is an experience of a lifetime. Climbing the mountain is like walking in the sea of clouds. The best time to climb is from December to February. You will experience the cool breeze and fresh air once you climbed the Mt. Pulag.
- Mt. Talinis – this is a volcano covered with wild orchids and edible berries. You can find two lakes in Mt. Talinis, the Lake Nailig, and Lake Yagumyum. The flora and fauna you can discover are manifestations that the country has a lot of beauty to offer.
- Mt. Taal – if you do not want to climb but like to witness a view of a lake and crater combined, Mt. Taal is hard to miss. It is one of the active volcanoes in the Philippines but has a majestic landscape to offer.
Home to UNESCO World Heritage Sites
The Philippines has an enduring past. The years of Spanish colonial rule left traces of colorful and vibrant history. These affect how Filipinos live today. The World Heritage Sites reflects the unique culture and story of the Filipinos.
The World Heritage has enlisted different landmarks that are worth your visit. Here are the following:
- Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park – Located 81 kilometers from the center of Puerto Princesa City, Palawan. This natural wonder should be at the top of your travel bucket list. This natural beauty is one of the very few rivers that flow out into the sea right through the inland source.
A lot of scientists study and investigate to understand this natural creation. The formations of the limestone plateaus form the landscape of the mountain range. It has an elevation ranging from sea level to a height of 1,028 meters.
- Rice Terraces of the Philippines – found in the northern part of the country. This landscape is a glimpse of the Filipinos pre-colonial era. It is present from 2000 years ago. Some part of the Philippine Cordillera mountain range was paddies to grow rice. It is a source of agriculture. This majestic creation made by man reflects strength and resilience among the Filipinos. It is a national symbol Filipinos are proud of.
- Historic City of Vigan – it is the third most important city in the 18th and 19th centuries. Vigan is the center of the Spanish colonial rule in the northern part of the country. The landmarks showcased a massive Spanish influence among the Filipinos.
- Philippine Baroque Churches – another influence of Spanish rule in the county is religion. The Philippines is home to almost 86% of Filipino Catholics. They practice Catholicism until today. You can see these religious influences in various Philippine Baroque Churches:
- Santo Tomàs de Villanueva
- San Agustin in Paoay, Ilocos Norte
- Nuestra Señora de la Asunción in Santa Maria, Ilocos Sur
- San Agustin in Manila.
What do people in the Philippines do for fun?
With its natural beauty and wonder, you can do a lot of fun things in the Philippines. Here are the top outdoor activities to try when you visit the country:
- White water action – water rafting is the famous water adventures in the Philippines. You can go to the islands of Visayas and Mindanao. You can find wild rivers in these islands.
- Trekking – trekking gives you a sense of relaxation and peace. You can see mossy jungles, cool mountain ridges, and untainted Philippine forests. Trekking is the best way to commune with the place and savor the beauty of the Philippines.
- Surfing – the seas and beaches in the country offer surf for all levels. You can head near the capital and drive to Baler and Infanta, Quezon. The beginners will appreciate the waves. For extreme surfing adventure, Visayas is the place to visit.
- Sea Kayaking –it is over 7000 islands that offer paddling activities on lagoons. You can see crystal clear waters while kayaking. You can also explore the magnificent biodiversity of the Philippines ‘ serene places.
- Caving – the deepest and darkest beauty of the country lies beneath the underground. The Philippines has a lot of cave systems. They have rivers and waterfalls, narrow passages with unique and incredible crystal formations.
What is unique to the Philippines?
The Philippines is a unique country. Here are the reasons why:
- People – the Filipinos make the country unique and travel friendly. Their perpetual smiles and warm gazes will make you feel at home in an instant. Filipinos are best known for their hospitality. It is their pleasure to accept guests and build a genuine relationship with them.
- Tarsiers – the country is home to flora and fauna that travelers across the globe wanted to see and explore. It is the home of the tarsiers, the smallest primate in the world.
- Marine Diving Sites – a recipient of the Best Overseas Diving Area in the Marine Diving Awards in 2021. The Philippine diving spots will give you an unforgettable undersea experience. Some of these diving spots that are hard to miss are the following:
- Coron Apo reef
- Monad Shoal
- Malapascua island
Most of the Filipinos are Catholic. Unlike the neighboring countries that are practicing Hinduism and Buddhism. There are churches and cathedrals in the Philippines. Other parts of the region have temples as their sacred place.
The cuisine has Spanish origin, while others are French and Dutch. You will never get mistaken once you taste a Filipino dish. It is a mixture of western-Spanish influences and local origin.
Is the Philippines a rich or poor country?
The Philippines may be rich in natural resources, but it continues to be a struggling economy in Asia. The Gross Domestic Product per capita was $2,639 US dollars that are only 21% of the world’s average.
The World Bank declared that it is the 33rd largest economy. It is an emerging economy in Southeast Asia. The Philippines is lagging compared to its neighboring countries like Singapore and Malaysia.
There are a lot of reasons why the country seems to move slowly in economic progress. These can be due to poor governance, weak government institutions, and rampant corruption.
The current world pandemic has slowed down the progress gained in the last couple of years. It seems that the country has a lot of economic development to do at present and even in the future.
Is the Philippines a friendly country?
No other country will make you feel at ease and comfortable than the Philippines. Filipinos are friendly by nature. Their broad smiles and lively spirit will make your stay in the country for long. There are even international travelers who made the Philippines their second home.
The top 8 friendliest country is the Philippines. It also ranks number 1 in Asia based on the Expat Explorer Survey. The Forbes Magazine released the said survey result.
More than 3,000 expatriates participated in the survey. The questions focused on the experiences living abroad. Said survey measured the following:
- Success in learning the local language
- Capacity for integrating oneself into the local community
- Ability to make friends with locals
- Comfort in blending into the new culture.
Filipino hospitality is still the greatest asset of the country. The international community has recognized this “Pinoy trademark” as attributed to the Filipinos.
The Philippines will give you an experience of a lifetime once you visit it. The beauty and wonders it offers will help you appreciate traveling. It has a lot to offer like beaches and mountains, up to the people living in the country.
Once you see its natural and untainted beauty, a single visit will never be enough. You would want to see all the beaches and the hidden secrets of the country. You would like to go back and stay longer.
So, start packing, buy your ticket, and experience the charm of the Philippines.